Members from Lions Youth Brass will be swapping the stage for the saddle as they prepare to cycle the distance between Sandbach and Montreux on static bikes.
The Lions Youth Brass team will be cycling around 790 miles, the distance from their Sandbach base to Montreux, in Switzerland, where the band will be competing at the European Youth Brass Band Championships.
The Lions qualified to represent the UK at the prestigious competition after scooping second place at the National Youth Brass Band Championships of Great Britain earlier this year.
It’s a fantastic achievement for the young band and has resulted in a major fundraising campaign to find the £25,000 it will cost to send around 50 young people as well as a team of tutors over to Switzerland.
With a number of fundraisers already under their belts, including race nights, bingo, and afternoon tea, the Lions will now be saddling up to see if they can complete a sponsored cycle to raise those all important funds.
Band members – and of course parents too, led by Jonathan Miles and Mick Ronald – will be cycling on a static bike at six of the upcoming concerts to raise money towards the total goal.
They will be at:
– From Sandbach to Switzerland, Northwich Memorial Hall, September 23
– Sandbach Makers Market, Sandbach Common, October 13
– Joint concert with Audley, Sandbach School, October 21
– Vale Royal Lions, Grange School, November 16
– Christmas Concert, Sandbach School, December 2
– Macclesfield Christmas Concert, St Paul’s Church Macclesfield, December 7
To keep up-to-date with all of the progress and upcoming events search for Lions Youth Brass on Facebook or @LionsYouthBand on Twitter.